NIRVANA: IN UTERO 20th Anniversary Multi-Format Reissue out September 24
To say that Nirvanaâ€™s third and ultimately final studio albumÂ In Utero was 1993â€™s most polarizing record would be the understatement of a decade.
The unadorned sonic rawness of Steve Albiniâ€™s recording laid bare every primal nuance of the most confrontational yet vulnerable material Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl would ever record. And with its 1991 predecessorÂ Nevermind having sold some 30 million copies, singlehandedly returning honest rock â€˜nâ€™ roll to the top of the pop charts,Â In Utero was essentially the first record Nirvana would make with any expectations from the public.
So from the opening quasi-shamble melodics of â€œServe The Servantsâ€ through the bittersweet closing strains of â€œAll Apologies,â€Â In Utero was the sound of the most incredible yet conflicted rock â€˜nâ€™ roll band of the era at the peak of its powers coming to terms with a generational spokes-band mantle theyâ€™d never seen coming â€” and ultimately surmounting these struggles to make the record they needed to make. AsÂ Rolling Stoneâ€™s David Fricke said in his review at the time, â€œIn Utero is a lot of things â€” brilliant, corrosive, enraged and thoughtful, most of them all at once. But more than anything, itâ€™s a triumph of the will.â€
Universal Music Enterprises will commemorate the 20th anniversary of the unwitting swan song of the single most influential artist of the 1990s with a multi-format release that spreads more than 70 remastered, remixed, rare, unreleased and live recordings over configurations ranging from a 3-CD/1-DVD Super Deluxe Edition to a standard digital/CD remaster of the original album. Material exclusive to the various versions of theÂ In Utero 20th Anniversary reissue will include a veritableÂ treasure trove of never-before-heard demos, B-sides, compilation tracks including:
- Kurt Cobainâ€™s handwritten lyrics
- A new 2013 mix of the entire album
- The originalÂ never-before-heard Steve Albini mixes of â€œHeart-Shaped Boxâ€ and â€œAll Apologiesâ€
- The recently unearthed Nirvana instrumental â€œForgotten Tuneâ€
- The original Dave Grohl solo demo of â€œMarigoldâ€ from December of 1990 â€” the earliest Grohl composition/recording ever released.
- A four-page letter from Albini to the band outlining his plans for how the album should be recorded.
- Liner notes by Bobcat Goldthwait
- A remixed and newly mastered CD of the entire December 13, 1993 Live And Loud show at Seattleâ€™s Pier 48Â featuring the final touring lineup of Cobain, Novoselic, Grohl, and Pat Smear
- The complete Live And Loud show along with several never-before-released bonus performances, that will also be released separately as a standalone DVD and digital download on September 24.
The full track listings for all configurations are detailed below. For further details, stay tuned toÂ http://www.nirvana.com/, @Nirvana and/orÂ www.facebook.com/Nirvana.