The Who Announced Full Details and Track-Listing for the Release of ‘Quadrophenia: The Director’s Cut’ Boxset
Considered by Pete Townshend himself to be the Who album that he is most proud of, ‘Quadrophenia’ is the last album in the Who back catalogue to be given the deluxe treatment and is perhaps the most deserving.
After the 1971 album ‘Who’s Next’, Pete Townshend returned to the ‘rock-opera’ concept, so dramatically realized through ‘Tommy’, with another ambitious double-album masterpiece. Based around the story of Jimmy â€“ QUADROPHENIA tells the tale of a young mod and his struggle to come of age in the mid-1960s. The story also takes its influence from the band’s early fans from the original mod era, and its themes of teenage angst and disaffection still resonate strongly today.
The full details and track-listing for the forthcoming ‘Director’s Cut’ reissue of ‘Quadrophenia’ are released for the first time below and Pete Townshend has opened his personal archive for the very first time for the release, stating that:
“The time has come for me and my team to honour ‘Quadrophenia’ with a carefully presented package that features examples of the impact surround sound (quadrophonic) would have on the music, to remaster the vinyl mixes, and to collect and restore my demos. I am also going to try to shed some light on the way ‘Quadrophenia’ came about, and how it was inspired by events in my life in 1970 and 1971 when I scribbled or typed the very first notes and lyrics for some of the songs that made it onto the final record.’
‘Quadrophenia: The Director’s Cut’ will be the definitive version of the album and a must for any self-respecting fan of The Who and beyond.
The super-deluxe limited edition box set will feature the following exclusive content:
- Discs one and two â€“ the original double album â€“ 2011 remaster
- Discs three and four â€“ 25 demo tracks from Pete Townshend’s studio archive giving a unique insight into the original vision for this remarkable body of work. Includes songs that were not included on the original album.
- Disc five – ‘The Quadrophenia 5.1 EP’ – exclusive eight track DVD re-mixed for surround sound.
- Deluxe 100-page , hard-back book featuring a brand new 13,000 word essay by Pete Townshend, shedding exclusive light on the period before and during the creation of the album, explaining some of the technical processes â€“ the startling and progressive use of synthesisers as well as a revealing insight into the story of the album’s central character – the mod Jimmy.
- Also features Pete’s in depth, track-by-track guide to the demos and revealing studio diary.
- The stunning book also includes a treasure trove of previously unseen personal notes, photographs, handwritten lyrics and memorabilia from the period, all recently uncovered in Pete’s archive.
- The package also replicates the striking black and white imagery from the original vinyl LP photography and adds never-seen colour out-takes of the famous cover shot.
- A replica 7″ vinyl single featuring hit single ‘5.15’ b/w ‘Water’ in a picture sleeve.
- Set of six facsimile memorabilia ‘inserts’ housed in a card envelope.
- Limited edition, housed in a hard-back deluxe slip-case.
Other formats will also be availableâ€¦
- Double vinyl
- Mini-deluxe digi-pak edition
Tracklistings for SDE version:
Original album â€“ 2011 Remaster
|1.||I Am The Sea|
|2.||The Real Me|
|4.||Cut My Hair|
|5.||The Punk And The Godfather|
|7.||The Dirty Jobs|
|9.||Is It In My Head?|
|10.||I’ve Had Enough|
|Disc Two :|
|2.||Sea And Sand|
|7.||Love Reign O’er Me|
|Disc three â€“ the demos|
|1.||The Real Me (demo)|
|2.||Quadrophenia â€“ Four Overtures (demo)|
|3.||Cut My Hair (demo)|
|4.||Fill No. 1 – Get Out and Stay Out (demo)|
|5.||Quadrophenic – Four Faces (demo)|
|6.||We Close Tonight (demo)|
|7.||You Came Back (demo)|
|8.||Get Inside (demo)|
|9.||Joker James (demo)|
|11.||I’m One (demo)|
|12.||Dirty Jobs (demo)|
|13.||Helpless Dancer (demo)|
|Disc four â€“ the demos|
|1.||Is It In My Head (demo)|
|2.||Any More (demo)|
|3.||I’ve Had Enough (demo)|
|4.||Fill No. 2 (demo)|
|6.||Sea & Sand (demo)|
|8.||Is It Me (demo)|
|9.||Bell Boy (demo)|
|10.||Dr Jimmy (demo)|
|11.||Finale-The Rock (demo)|
|12.||Love Reign O’er Me (demo)|
|Disc five – DVD – 5.1 surround-sound mix|
|1.||I Am The Sea|
|2.||The Real Me|
|4.||I’ve Had Enough|
|8.||Love Reign O’er Me|
|Side one: 5.15|
|Side two: Water|
To accompany the box set, double vinyl, 2-disc digi-pak and digital versions will also be released.